Jodie Housman’s professional practice within a clinical, supportive counselling and forensic domain include:
Mental Health and Relationship Supportive Services
- Providing supportive mental health services to adults and adolescents to enhance overall health and emotional well being.
- Providing supportive relationship counselling to couples who experience communication difficulties, relationship upheavals and emotional turmoil.
- Undertaking advanced assessments and developing treatment programs for adults, adolescents and children with mental health issues and complex presentations (i.e. depression, anxiety, substance abuse).
- Senior Counsellor and Consultant Psychologist to the City Fertility Clinic. (Sunnybank and Brisbane City)
- Services include providing supportive infertility counselling, grief and loss services, donor counselling and pre-surrogacy counselling/reports.
- Providing information, support and training to families and carers from a holistic approach on skill development and behaviour management for people with an intellectual disability and/or mental health concern.
- Providing psycho education and psychological support to parents who have a child with a disability on partner support, coping strategies, distress tolerance and self-care.
- Conducting assessments and providing psycho-education and therapy to parents who have experienced or are at risk of experiencing separation and divorce. Focusing on parent and child adjustment difficulties, parenting and co-parenting practices and interparental conflict.
- Facilitating Group / Individual Triple P Positive Parenting Programs through Disability Services Queensland, including ‘Stepping Stones’, ‘Enhanced’ and ‘Pathways’ programs. To assist parents in their implementations and maintenance of effective parenting practices.
- Conducting assessments of children and adolescents with challenging behaviour and implementing effective developmentally appropriate behavioural management strategies consistent with the Triple P – Positive Parenting Program.
Trauma and Abuse
- Conducting assessments on children and adolescents who have experienced trauma.
- Providing a consultative role to Government and Non-Government departments on the following topics:
- Signs of child sexual abuse or symptoms post abuse
- Issues to consider in planning safe contact and/or reunification
- Risk/protective factors
- Maternal support and impact on victims
- Children with sexual behaviour problems
- Dual diagnosis
Child Protection & Court Services
- Representing the Director-General (Department of Child Safety) as a Court Coordinator / Court Services Adviser in Children’s Courts and the Children Services Tribunal in child protection matters and coordinating departmental representation in these courts and tribunals, including representation by Crown Law.
- Undertaking and assisting others to undertake the necessary interviews, assessments and written material to formulate Childrens Court and Tribunal submissions and provide post proceedings advice consistent with departmental policies and practice standards.
- Resourcing and supporting departmental witnesses and quality assuring material for the Children’s Court and Children Services Tribunal.
- Providing authoritative advice and consultancy to departmental staff and other key stakeholders on a state-wide basis in relation to legislation, policy, practice and procedures relevant to the provision of services to the Children’s Courts and Children Services Tribunal.
Management & Supervision
- Supervising Child Safety Officers, Child Safety Support Officers and Court Coordinators.
- Facilitating case consultations with Managers, Senior Practitioners, Team Leaders, external stakeholders (including Indigenous Entities) and Child Safety Officers in relation to Approved Carers; Children Services Tribunal matters and child protection matters.