Dr Jodie Housman’s professional practice within a clinical, supportive counselling and forensic domain include:
Mental Health and Relationship Supportive Services
- Providing supportive mental health services to adults and adolescents to enhance overall health and emotional well being.
- Providing supportive relationship counselling to couples who experience communication difficulties, relationship upheavals and emotional turmoil.
- Undertaking advanced assessments and developing treatment programs for adults, adolescents and children with mental health issues and complex presentations (i.e. depression, anxiety, substance abuse).
- Senior Counsellor and Consultant Psychologist to the City Fertility Centre. (Sunnybank and Brisbane City)
- Services include providing supportive infertility counselling, grief and loss services, donor counselling and pre-surrogacy counselling/reports.
- Providing information, support and training to families and carers from a holistic approach on skill development and behaviour management for people with an intellectual disability and/or mental health concern.
- Providing psychoeducation and psychological support to parents who have a child with a disability on partner support, coping strategies, distress tolerance and self-care.
- Conducting assessments and providing psycho-education and therapy to parents who have experienced or are at risk of experiencing separation and divorce. Focusing on parent and child adjustment difficulties, parenting and co-parenting practices and interparental conflict.
- Facilitating Group / Individual Triple P Positive Parenting Programs through Disability Services Queensland, including ‘Stepping Stones’, ‘Enhanced’ and ‘Pathways’ programs. To assist parents in their implementations and maintenance of effective parenting practices.
- Conducting assessments of children and adolescents with challenging behaviour and implementing effective developmentally appropriate behaviour management strategies consistent with the Triple P – Positive Parenting Program.
Trauma and Abuse
- Conducting assessments on children and adolescents who have experienced trauma.
- Providing a consultative role to Government and Non-Government departments on the following topics:
- Signs of child sexual abuse or symptoms post abuse
- Issues to consider in planning safe contact and/or reunification
- Risk/protective factors
- Maternal support and impact on victims
- Children with sexual behaviour problems
- Dual diagnosis
Child Protection & Court Services
- Representing the Director-General (Department of Child Safety) as a Court Coordinator / Court Services Adviser in Children’s Courts and the Children Services Tribunal in child protection matters and coordinating departmental representation in these courts and tribunals, including representation by Crown Law.
- Undertaking and assisting others to undertake the necessary interviews, assessments and written material to formulate Children’s Court and Tribunal submissions and provide post-proceedings advice consistent with departmental policies and practice standards.
- Resourcing and supporting departmental witnesses and quality assuring material for the Children’s Court and Children Services Tribunal.
- Providing authoritative advice and consultancy to departmental staff and other key stakeholders on a state-wide basis in relation to legislation, policy, practice and procedures relevant to the provision of services to the Children’s Courts and Children Services Tribunal.
Management & Supervision
- Supervising Child Safety Officers, Child Safety Support Officers and Court Coordinators.
- Facilitating case consultations with Managers, Senior Practitioners, Team Leaders, external stakeholders (including Indigenous Entities) and Child Safety Officers in relation to Approved Carers; Children Services Tribunal matters and child protection matters.